How does the figure skate sharpening service work?
4 simple steps to perfectly sharpened skates
Perfect Edge for Ultimate Ice Performance!
Our Skate Sharpening Service provides precise and experienced modification of your figure skating blades. Sharpening skate blades requires not only technical expertise but also a keen sense for the individual characteristics of each skate. Each skate is unique, and our team of professional sharpening experts understands the importance of tailored sharpening processes.
With our expertise and attention to detail, we ensure that your skates are not only safe but also perfectly tailored to meet your personal requirements. The right edge is crucial not just for safety reasons but also significantly impacts your comfort on the ice.
You can trust that our specialists not only possess the necessary technical know-how but also master the subtle nuances of sharpening.
With our Skate Sharpening Service, we offer a straightforward solution to professionally modify your skates. Trust our expertise and enjoy an optimized skating experience on the ice!
Sharpening Process Overview:
- Simply and conveniently order our sharpening service online by adding the item to your cart and proceeding to checkout.
- Upon completing your order, you'll receive an email with a link to create the return label for sending back your skates. Print the return label, carefully pack your skates, and affix the label to your package. Please note that this service is only available in Austria and Germany. For the sharpening service from other countries, please use our contact form.
- Once your package reaches us, the blades will be professionally sharpened. Please allow up to 3 business days for this process. We strive to ensure your skates return to you as quickly as possible!
- After sharpening, your skates will promptly be shipped back to your address. You'll receive a shipping confirmation along with a tracking number to monitor the status of your shipment.
Which Radius Fits Me?
To determine which sharpening radius suits you best, it's essential to understand what the sharpening radius means for ice skates.
Essentially, when sharpening skates, a concave hollow, known as the hollow grind, is created on the underside of the blades. This allows you to glide on the ice while providing good grip with the resulting edges.
The suitable sharpening radius depends on several factors:
- body weight
- skill level
- personal preferences
A general rule is:
- If the skater is lighter and less experienced, the skates should be sharpened sharper (smaller radius).
- If the skater is heavier and more skilled, the skates should be sharpened duller (larger radius).
Tip from eisprinzessin.at:
Start with a standard radius of 5/8 inches and test it out. If you notice you have either too little or too much grip on the curves or if the gliding behavior isn't optimal, adjust the radius accordingly:
- Too little grip in turns -> sharpen more (smaller radius)
- Too much grip on edges -> duller sharpening (larger radius)
- Poor gliding behavior (blade penetrating too deeply into the ice) -> duller sharpening (larger radius)
How long does the entire sharpening process take?
* Estimates in working days and subject to variation as shipping times depend on the respective carrier.
To avail of free shipping, this service should not be ordered simultaneously with other items in the cart.